New on the Stack || March Edition


New on the Stack
The Deliberate Reader hosts the monthly linkup New on the Stack to share what you’ve added to your piles in the past month. Link up and envy all the books that you didn’t get your hands on! I had four library holds come through this month, plus my bad habit of browsing for e-books when I’m bored, adds up to mean that I got more books than I would have expected in March.


Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami
How I got it: audiobook loan from the library
Why I got it: I’m slowly making my way through all of Murakami’s books, and my library only has the audiobook of this. The narrator was SO ANNOYING and made the character sound condescending, so I decided to stop listening to it before the whole book was ruined.


How I got it: e-book from the library
Why I got it: How could I keep calling myself a Murakami fan if I hadn’t read this yet?
The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler
How I got it: e-ARC from Netgalley
Why I got it: In a relapse of my self-imposed Netgalley browsing ban, I requested this because I enjoyed In Search of Lost Time and the storylines are similar. Plus, ya’ll know I judge books by their covers!


The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
How I got it: audiobook loan from the library
Why I got it: I was browsing available audiobooks right before I had to leave for work, and thought I should give this a try. I’ve always been intimidated by The Fountainhead because of memories of AP English friends moaning and groaning about how hard it is to read. So far, it’s not so dense that I can’t easily follow it while I’m commuting.

In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust
How I got it: kindle version from Amazon
Why I got it: References to this book keep popping up in my life, and I bet after I read it, I will notice them even more. I’ve never read anything by Proust, and I want to see if he’s as amazing as he’s made out to be.


How I got it: pdf from online somewhere (my library doesn’t have it and I’ve been wanting to read it for at least a year now, okay?)
Why I got it: So many of my smart phd friends have read it and recommended it. To be honest, I don’t know that much about the civil rights movement, or the prison system, or what the two have to do with each other. All I know is the US’s prison complex is out of control and no one is telling me why.

Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer
How I got it: e-book from the library
Why I got it: I’ve seen so many reviews of this book that I decided it was time to see what everyone is talking about. (ps I reviewed it already!)



How I got it: scannable from Manga Rock
Why I got it: Ana at Read Me Away said the author is one of her international favorites, and I was looking for manga to read shortly after that.


Akira, Vol I by Katsuhiro Otomo
How I got it: scannable from Manga Rock
Why I got it: I want to read the manga classics, and I was drawn in by promises of post-WWIII Tokyo, sci-fi, and amazing storytelling.

No comments :

Post a Comment